Wednesday, August 6, 2008

You have got to be kidding me

In an attempt to make up for all the ice cream I could not eat when I had my tonsils removed eight years ago, I make a trek to Rite-Aid down the street for a pint of Ben & Jerry's. 


(On a side note: Is it just me or do all the greatest things come sized by pints? Beer. Ice Cream. )

So back to my story. While I was there I stopped by the summer seasonal aisle because Summer is starting to wind down here on the east coast and I was hoping they'd have some good clearance. They of course, did not, but while I was in the aisle this girl walked by with her mother complaining that she was pregnant and her mother was going too fast. The girl looked 12. Seriously, I had to pick my jaw up off the ground. But, these things happen so after taking a second to regain my composure, I continued on. 

Now, I don't live in the best town ever. It's the biggest city in this state, which really doesn't mean much at all. I live on a rather nice block surrounded by other rather decent blocks, but mixed in there are a lot of really scummy people. As with anywhere I'm sure. The city has gone a long way towards making this area a better place to live, and for that I'm grateful. However, like I said, there are some scummy people. 

As I was at the register buying my ice cream and ginger ale (I needed a break from my Ginger Tea) the same girl comes up behind me talking to her mother about what kind of cigarettes she wants. I'm serious. She smoked all of someone else's and now it's time for her own. I can't even tell you how mad I got when I heard her. It took every single thing I had in me to not say something. I just wanted to look at her and be like, are you serious right now?

I try my best to not judge any one, none of us are perfect and I'll be the first to admit any of my 100+ faults. But wow. It's not like we're in the 1930s and the information about the damage that can be done to unborn fetus' doesn't exist. It's every where. EVERY WHERE. If she wants to take up smoking the second she pops that baby out, fine, that's her choice, but that little baby doesn't have a choice right now. And I'm sorry, but it's people like that who shouldn't be allowed to have their kids. What's the difference between her baby and a crack baby? I don't see a big one. I don't even see a big difference between what's she's doing now and giving her child a good beating. Education has gone a long way in terms of discouraging this kind of stuff and maybe it would be pointless to make any kind of law against this. I mean honestly, if the concern of her unborn child's well-being is not enough to keep her from smoking, I really doubt anything is. But I'm just so mad at this girl right now!

The only thing I can do is pray that the baby will be born okay and hopefully it's parents won't f it up too much. I'm sure that's just wishful thinking though. Ugh. 

0 comments: