Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Slowly trading in my feminist pants for an apron.

On the bright side, Golfpro opened up tonight. Which is good. I mean, we've been doing this things for just about 6 years now so it's time. I think much of the time he doesn't open up is not because he's not open perse, but after our conversation tonight, it's because he thinks I should just assume it to be that way. But I never assume anything, especially when it comes to him. We have talked about the future before and we both see our future with each other- kids, house, the whole nine yards. While we make each other miserable sometimes- less now then before, it's still a lot worse without each other and I like to think we've both finally come to that realization. Yes, I agree, it is about time.


Last Thursday was the day before Golfpro's birthday and I bought him a little present since his actual present wasn't arriving until today. Well, that set off an argument, one that I didn't really participate in as part of my new respect approach. I let him say what he wanted and respectfully remained silent. He was mainly just pissed off at how I choose to spend my money, whether that's on his birthday or on my love of shoes. But, like I said, I let him say what he wanted and instead of telling him to F off like I would have before, I wanted until he was done and then changed the subject- respectfully of course. 

He started again tonight on my spending of money. I forget what triggered the conversation, I can't remember saying anything about buying anything, but none the less, something brought it up. Finally after him going on and on about it, I was like, "Honestly, it's really none of your business how I choose to spend my money." Which totally would get a feminist high five. Except, he had a really good come back. He was like, "Well, you see, you're wrong. I have a very vested interest in how you spend your money because there are a few things you'd be safe assuming after how long we've been together. One, it would be nice to get married someday. Two, it would be nice to live together when we're married- unless you want to keep living with your parents while I have my own place, but I really don't want that." And it was nice to hear that he actually thinks about those things, with me. And so I promised I would try really hard to spend less money and he said it would be really nice if I also promised to try to save more money. I agreed. 

I must say that I'm pretty proud of us though. Normally this would have been something that would cause one of us to dump the other- which means me throwing in the towel more than likely. My attitude would have set him off to say something snappy and his snappy comment would have made me be completely disrespectful and end the conversation by saying I'm all set. Do you see now why we struggle? But instead, we sailed through it with flying colors! Go us! If we can keep this up, we might actually have a chance!

So here's to trying to save money. Any tips? I need all the help I can get! I'm off to a good start though- I did manage to decrease my insurance by $30 a month... and in the course of a year that's about $360 I believe. I mentioned this to Golfpro and he wasn't too enthusiastic, but after I reminded him of positive reinforcement and he smartly replied, "Well, good for you baby." Yes, good for me.

0 comments: